Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fishing in Wisconsin

Ahh...the Rausch family annual fishing trip to Spooner, Wisconsin. As a new wife, I was eager to go along on the trip for the first time, and show off my skills as a fisherman (fisherwoman). I bought myself a Hot Pink fishing pole, packed my own tacklebox, and took along my own filet knife to filet my own fish. Well....lets just say things don't always go as planned. While I caught fish left and right on the lake, I can't say I had the same luck on the river....and let me tell you...a six hour float on the river in a metal boat feels even longer when you aren't catching any fish. I tried to go with the flow and fish with Justin and his dad for 2 days on the river, but soon my competitive frustrations quickly set in, and I took a cue from his mom, and stayed at the cabin the next few days and let the boys do their thing. Boy, was life so much better when I was enjoying the weather laying out on the dock, and catching up on reading that I had wanted to do all summer long! We even went into town one day and did some shopping at all the little stores in Spooner. We did have a great time, and it was nice to be away from work for awhile. We enjoyed hanging out with Justin's parents for a week, fishing the lakes at night and enjoying the fine fried foods, cheese, and ice cold beer that Wisconsin has to offer. If I go back next year, I already have my packing list made....lounge chair and plenty of books....and I may leave the Hot Pink fishing rod at home.....no fish caught on that rod all week! I think I may take it back, and tell Dicks Sporting Goods that it was defective!

Justin with his small mouth bass





Karla holding the same fish....it looks so much bigger!

An actual fish that I caught! Nice large mouth caught on the lake!

Justin motoring me around the lake!
I did filet my own fish, and if I do say so...I did a pretty good job! Maybe I have a future in surgery!


1 comment:

Random Consistency said...

Love the comments and you took it a little easy on the parents. You have to remind my short term memory that you two have this blog!